Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Reflections of Architectural Communications

As an engineer I found this course as an intriguing insight into how architects can communicate their ideas. The three workshops I was involved in Atlas of Colour, Fluid thoughts to Actions and Architectural Drawing we very interesting and I believe I learnt quite a lot. Although each workshops’ theory was quite interesting I found the physical projects challenging especially the Atlas of Colour and Architectural Drawing. I didn’t realize how much effort goes into each drawing or page of the atlas.

Throughout the course I had many highlights with my atlas and some of my fluid thoughts to action drawings being shown in different lectures, due to how well I went. I had a lot of fun during the workshops, especially when we did team tasks in Fluid Thoughts to Actions, as it was interesting to engage with the architecture students.

There weren’t any real lowlights within the course except that I found the lectures to be long and uninformative as they usually just went over what was done within the workshops. It was fine for those workshops that I did not participate in but the others were just a brief over view and to be frank I found them a waste of time. However it would have been nice to have a final lecture where the best projects from each workshop over the duration of the semester were shown.

Overall I had fun and learnt numerous techniques, theories and tricks of the trade that are certain to help me in the architecture subjects I will encounter.

No comments: